Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Thoughts after Larkin's Funeral

Yesterday, I drove to Lorenzo/Idalou to attend the funeral service for my uncle, Larkin Dycus. Here are some thoughts associated with the trip:
  • Not sure how long the Lubbock paper will leave the link active, but here is the online obituary for Uncle Bubba:
  • Seeing "seldom-seen" family members was a blessing. Seeing the children of "seldom-seen" family members and matching them up with their children wasn't much of a problem. Matching up their children and their children was a chore.
  • The order of the days' events was a good order. The graveside service was at 11:00 in Lorenzo. The 1:00 funeral service was in Idalou in the Church of Christ building. The noon meal was wonderful and provided an opportunity to visit around the tables.
  • I was proud of my friends at Adams Funeral Home. Allan and Gail are truly good people and provide a professional service. They bring a new meaning to "extended family."
  • The speakers at the funeral were good. Ministers Terry Groves and Bob Martin did well.
  • While visiting with my family and especially during the service(s), I was reminded of how very thankful I am for my family. We are blessed with a long and strong Christian legacy. There is no way of telling (this side of Heaven, at least) how many lives have been touched for the better by good people like my uncle, Larkin Dycus. There's no way of telling (this side of Heaven) how many people are closer to Jesus because they knew the Jesus who lived inside Larkin T. Dycus.

I just returned from seeing Mother at the rehab facility on this Tuesday morning. She was doing therapy, so I didn't stay long. I think I entertained everyone in the room as I read Larkin's obituary (loudly!!) to Mother. I paused after reading the name of the Oklahoma county in which Larkin was born ("Pushmatahaw"). I asked, "Mother, did I pronounce that correctly?" She said, "Yes." and then pronounced it again. She asked about everyone. She remembers everyone including the names of children, where everyone lives, and lots more information I can't keep track of. I'm not sure what this means, but if she mentions a list of family members, she almost always mentions Jay Ed. If I don't mention Jay Ed, she does. Jay, you have made an impression on my mother that shines through the fog. Go figure. Sorry, Tomi, Tony, Sandra, Becky, Diane, and Drew!! She remembers you, but Jay's always first!!

She asked how Altha May was doing. She asked how Gene and Bug looked. Then, while she was thinking about Uncle Bubba, she said, "Now, who were his parents?"

I sure do love you-all.

No comments: